Our most important priority is the health and safety of our students. Now that the new semester is underway, it’s a good time to review key school safety policies and procedures:
- Once students arrive at school in the morning, they must remain in the building until dismissal at the end of the day.
- All students, staff, and visitors must enter the school only through the main doors that face McClumpha Road. These doors are locked throughout the day except during morning arrival from 7:30-8:30 am and at dismissal from 3:30 – 4:00 pm.
- After school, students must exit only by the main entrance doors or the rear doors on the north side of the building.
- Only New School High staff may open an outside door. Students may not admit anyone, including parents, delivery people, visitors, or other persons who may be familiar.
- Students must be in their scheduled classroom during class time unless specifically given permission by their teacher to leave.
- Students are not allowed in the kitchen, the tech room, staff offices, or the church side of the building without specific permission and supervision.
- All medications require a signed parent permission form to use. Medications must be kept in the school office with the exception of certain inhalers and epipens. This includes over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- In accordance with Michigan law, smoking and vaping are strictly prohibited in the school building, on school property, and in vehicles. Students may not bring related paraphernalia, including lighters and matches, to school.
- The NSH Acceptable Use Policy is in place to ensure the safe use of technology at school. Violations may result in the student being prohibited from using school accounts and equipment.
- Fire, tornado, and security drills are regularly conducted in accordance with State requirements. All students and staff are expected to fully cooperate in these important practices.
- New School High works closely with the Plymouth Township Police Department, which conducts regular walk-throughs at our building.
To enhance our ability to communicate with our families, we will be implementing a new parent contact system called Remind for brief announcements and reminders. (In the past, we used Class Messenger, which is no longer available.) Signing up is very easy; please see the directions in the Announcements section below. We hope you will join right away so you don’t miss important alerts.